Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

After losing 2 dogs (Pebbles, a Westie at 16 yrs old) and Rocky (our 1st PWD at 15 yrs old) in 2005 I wondered if I could ever get over my sadness to be able to have another dog. My husband wanted another dog so much & I held him off for as long as I could. Once I gave him the OK & I started looking, I knew it would be the best thing to try to fill the huge void in my life. We thought we would start our search for a PWD. After a few weeks, I found a breeder near by who had puppies. We went to see them & of course fell in love. We picked Lucie (brown & white wavy) & would be back in a week to pick her up. When we went to get her the breeder said one of the puppies had an 'improper coat' and asked if we wanted to take her also. WOW! I was THRILLED! 2 PUPPIES!!! It was a big adjustment having 2 puppies at once-after all, it had been 15 yrs since we had a puupy & now we had 2. They are the loves of my life & even though they are quite a handful at times, I would do it all over again. Lucie is on her way to become a therapy dog & Luckie is taking agility classes. We just learned that another term for an 'improper coat' is a 'smooth faced' PWD. I like this term MUCH better. I know that there are other 'smooth faced' PWD's around, but I never see any photos or find any one writting about them. Luckie is a PWD in every single way except for her coat. She is 'luckier' then Lucie in a way because she doesn't have to have her hair cut. I would love to hear about other 'smooth faced' PWD's

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi, this is Kathy from www.PortieFlix.net. I'm so glad that you found me, and now I've found you. Welcome to dog blogging! I put a link to your blog on PortieFlix. Lucy and Luckie ar adorable. How old are they now? I have never heard of a "smooth-faced" Portie. I wanted a wavy, but instead I got a curly, although Emma isn't very curly. She's more like semi-curly, sort of "swirly." I, like you, use Blogger, so get in touch if you need any advice or tips. BTW, first tip: when I went to link you gave, it didn't connect. To link the that post, type the link as you did, but with the ".html" on the end. Probably better to give the address to link to the whole blog, rather than just the post. That address would be http://2waterdogs.blogspot.com/

Happy Tails
Kathy

Kathy said...

What a surprise! On Friday morning, the day after I read about your "smooth-faced" Portie, I met someone who has one. The man came with a truck to move our 44 foot sailboat into our yard. He met Emma, and told us about his Portie, Bocephus. He said Bocephus has a "double coat." When I asked him to explain, he described a coat just like Luckie's. I am looking forward to meeting Bocephus. Maybe he will meet Emma and I'll get video!

2waterdogs said...

Hi Kathy!
THANKS for the messages! I am VERY new at this & didn't even know you left a message (even though I was back on this site several times since joining)
THANKS also for the tip about the link. I'm will attempt to fix it.
Does Emma go out on the boat with you? I want SO much to take our girls on a camping trip by a lake where they play in the water. We have taken them over to my brothers pool and they swim some, but by the time they get used to it, it is time to go.
We used to called Luckie's coat 'improper' which was the term our breeder used, but I heard another breeder use the term 'smooth-faced' and decided that I liked that much better. There is just isn't anything improper about Luckie!
I am anxious now to go look for a photo of Emma; I am hoping to find some or even better yet a video. I just LOVE looking al the photos & videos of all the PWD's!
I would love to send you the link to my SmugMug site-I have tons of photos of our girls there. Warning...I'm WAY over the top about my pups & taking photos!
THANKS again for the tips & taking the time to post to me!
Pat
PS: Luckie & Lucie are 1 1/2 yrs old - how about Emma? Is she your first PWD?

Anonymous said...

I finally pulled up your 2waterdogs.blogspot. GREAT pictures and enjoyed your blog!!! You can copy and paste your blog into MySpace. To the right of your profile picture is where you blog!!!
Wags from Suzan and Augie

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfmfuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=70519652

cecilou said...

Hi! We thought we'd return your visit - your dogs are beautiful! I can't imagine having two puppies at once though - you're very brave.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I also have a "smooth-faced" portie that is the spitting image of your dog. You can see a picture of her at http://www.pawspot.com/profile/display/v/user/klavalli/

I'm interested in knowing more about the breeder of your dogs. My breeder is interested in the genetics of this coat type and would like to communicate with other breeders who have had that coat type show up. So if you get this, let me know.

Thanks,
Kari Lavalli

Unknown said...

Hi there! My name is Louisa and I have a four year old "smooth faced" portie. His name is Oscar and like your Luckie, he is every bit a portie except for his coat. I've only ever found one picture of another smooth face, so yes, we seem to be few and far between.

Your YouTube clip of them playing in their first year was just so beautiful. You can tell they are so loved.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that there are others like your Luckie.

Take care!

Louisa